Friday, June 18, 2010

Kenya - "The only place where you can get welder's flash while driving"

It is now Friday, and his morning even I, with my North American blood, got cold… I could see my breath. The Fox Fires get up in the mornings at 5 to pray. This morning was the first morning I joined them and was really blessed by Petty’s word about us having the power of Jesus, all else being subject to that. Yesterday, we had Bible study together on patience as a fruit of the Spirit. It is so cool to hear insights from the people of Kenya… they draw a lot straight from the Bible, with the Holy Spirit as their teacher, and it’s often even better than what I learn from sermons and commentaries. We’ve got more school ministry today at 1:30. I spoke for a very few minutes yesterday at the school… Joseph apologized for taking all of my time, but I assured him that I was totally okay with that. I, along with the Canadians, certainly draw some attention by being white.

Also, about 15 minutes ago, I saw a monkey.

Yesterday I had one of the most encouraging conversations I have ever had with another guy named Joseph. He maintains things around the compound and guesthouse, and he cooks my meals. Joseph is a very good cook. I have never met someone who more embodied humility in serving his brothers in Christ. I sometimes offer to help, but he responds with “No no, you are my guest,” and more commonly, “Jonatin, you are my broda.” He told me some of his story, a past filled with hardships, and even presently as he tries to provide for his extended family that is very poor. Yet, every other sentence, it seemed, he said, “But I thank God.” He encouraged me greatly in both word and deed, directly and indirectly. He once half-jokingly told me to follow him as he followed Christ (to the table where he was carrying my food). However I really do strive for this – I want to serve Christ and others with the joy and humility that Joseph has.

And regarding the title - it's true. Some welding going on right off of the road. But when driving in Kenya, that is the least of your worries.

As we gear up for the Molo Mission, please pray for funding to cover the deficit that they still face. Pray that God moves mightily.

1 comment:

  1. He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah6:8

    Thanks for the challenge, Jonatin
    Praying for MissionAfrica, ms g

    ReplyDelete