Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First Day

Haberi ya gioni! That means goodnight. It is 10:20 pm as I write this from “the bunker” their compound-like places of residence for their Fox Fire ministry team. I, however, stay in the guest house, which is a little bit nicer. My new Kenyan friends are Boniface, Joseph, Esther, and Petie, along with some Canadians who are serving here for a couple of months, Christa and Ryan. Everyone has been very nice to me, and although I have been thrown into a whirlwind of new experiences, I feel like I am being served more than I am serving.

Kenya is awesome. It is probably about 60 degrees, maybe 65, which means that the Kenyans get out their heavy coats, gloves, scarves, and beanies… they do not like the cool. Speaking of which, “cool” is a term that I have taught Boniface (Boni for short), which he is greatly amused by and is now hooked on saying. Today, he and I went to a school to retrieve a Bible that he had left. We took some sort of taxi/van thing that drove crazily through bumpy, congested, and pedestrian strewn streets. I was squeezed 3 wide into the front bench seat (on the left side… the passenger side here in Kenya – which is still strange to me) and one time we even narrowly avoided drilling a baby calf that was crossing the street. Speaking of calves, on the way back, as we were walking through a cattle-grazing field, and I asked if I could take a picture of the picture-esque scene (located a stone’s throw from our compound). As I snapped the second shot, I noticed the cattle-keeper walking towards us. Boni had a somewhat intense Swahili conversation with him. As we walked away he told me that the herder thought that I ought to pay him a little over 6 USD for the picture that I had taken without his permission. So that was a bit of a mess up, but Boniface told me that it was a mindset he had to take advantage of me because I was white. Thanks to Boniface, I still have 6 dollars (more than that, of course, Dad) and 2 pictures of the cows.

We then spoke in a school. It was as you would imagine… a bunch of high school aged kids, maybe 50, all in uniform, (brown, beige, and khaki) crammed into a simple concrete classroom. They spoke about goal-setting, and other than an introduction and prayer at the end, I just observed. Tomorrow, more of the same, including our awesome morning devotions, called Morning Glory, in which we sing, listen to a Word, and pray. It’s awesome to see God’s people gather to worship our same God in different ways, but very much the same.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you arrived safe, have hit the ground running, and were able to avoid the $6 photo fee!! looking forward to reading more... we will bepraying for you all... -Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, yeh! you are in Kenya...I am envious. So glad that you and your friends, Boniface, et al, are becoming, well...friendly. Amazing that you are there to serve and are being served...God's way of doing things. Looking forward to more updates.

    love ya! karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. $6!! Geez louise!

    J/K. Glad to hear you made it safely - reading your story is really cool. Let us know how we can specifically pray for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey brother. Thanks for the update. This is such a great opportunity!

    "Sing to the Lord, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!" 1 Chronicles 16:23-24

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock on! Headlines in the New York Times - Lennings Take Africa By Storm. I'm excited for you and look forward to actually meeting you later in the summer. Let us know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you made it! I can't wait to read all the ways God works in miraculous ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cow....what a first day :)

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete