Sunday, August 8, 2010

Headed Home

Well I just posted something that I wrote a while back, so unless you are really bored or something, you don’t need to read it (as opposed to this current post, which everyone everywhere must necessarily read and enjoy) (that was sarcastic, for those who don’t know me as well). But do check out Jimmy’s blog (which I mentioned in my last post)… http://jimmy-manofthepeople.blogspot.com/

At the beginning of this week, I found myself speaking into a megaphone to anyone who would listen. As uncomfortable as I was (and am) with being the bullhorn guy, it is received much differently here in Africa than it would be in the United States. It is a good thing. I don’t actually do the bulk of the preaching, but simply greet the crowds and say a short word with a translator (I have been sticking with the analogy I heard from David Platt about Jesus on the cross swallowing up the floodwaters of an enormous dam that had broken, and which we were standing in front of, the water representing the punishment of God’s wrath for sin). I got the open-air preaching gig right after I was awarded the title of “preacher”… on my nametag it says it in Swahili, “mhubiri.” This only happened after I was assigned to preach at a church on Sunday morning, in two services. As weird as it was for me, the Lord was faithful to give sufficient grace (Surprised? Don’t be.), and I felt really good about it. I talked about trusting in the Lord’s faithfulness. I used my recent experience in Kampala and emphasized resting in God working all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28), while making it clear that Him being glorified is the “good” even when it’s tough, and that as His children, this is to our benefit as we get to share in His glory (provided we suffer with Christ – Romans 8:17). This perspective results in complete rest and peace in the Lord, knowing that we, His saints, will one day know the full glory of our Lord as He, even now, glorifies Himself in and through we who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Then yesterday, Friday, my family and I got to go on a safari. It was awesome! We saw hundreds of animals, and the landscape was ridiculous (I mean that in the best of senses). God’s glory through His creation is great. We met the owner of our hotel in Iringa… what a Christian! Amazing faith.

Also ridiculous in the best of senses, was my entire summer. I don’t know if I’ll be back to Africa, but I imagine I will. And I look forward to it. Mostly, I look forward to seeing God’s continued faithfulness in my life, to His glory. He will do everything He has promised. Christ has died, Christ has risen, and Christ will come again. I will share in His glory, provided I suffer with Him, and by His grace, even that will be pure joy. He will never leave me, nor forsake me. Come what may in this misty wisp of life that remains for me on the earth, I will one day be present with my Lord, worshiping Him forever, in perfect communion with Him and my fellow worshipers from every tribe and nation, Africa included.

No comments:

Post a Comment